Strangest Tribe's Board @ www.pearljamonline.it

PJ20

« Older   Newer »
fran altereddie
view post Posted on 7/9/2011, 12:58

copertura dell'evento da parte di Spin (foto e video al link qui sotto)

www.spin.com/articles/pearl-jam-thr...-birthday-party

It Happened Last Night
By Rob Mitchum on September 6, 2011 10:47 AM

It may not be the coolest move to throw your own birthday party, but at least you get the celebration you want. The 20-year tributes to Nirvana's Nevermind have been an unregulated free-for-all ranging from dignified (Krist Novoselic's all-star bash, SPIN's cover-songs tribute) to decidedly un- (Chris Brown, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," 'nuff said). Pearl Jam on the other hand, are still together, and thus capable of controlling the agenda for the 20th birthday of their watershed 1991 record, Ten.
If it's surprising that they celebrated 2,000 miles away from Seattle — in Alpine Valley, WI — know that Pearl Jam long ago evolved past their original grunge label to become prefix-less, suffix-less Rock, a sound without geography. In other words, when you're drawing fans from the four corners of the United States and as far away as Germany and New Zealand, you might as well drop the pin in the Midwest. They booked it and the fans came, showing they are dedicated enough to make Pearl Jam one of the endangered species that can still (almost) fill a gargantuan, 37,000-capacity amphitheatre like Alpine Valley for 2 nights over Labor Day weekend.

Any snark about the band being a museum piece in 2011 was pre-empted by an actual Pearl Jam museum on site, where fans waited in line an hour to file past Eddie Vedder's 4-track and a display case containing "Hats Worn By Jeff Ament." Fans also happily swarmed the merch booths for unique "PJ20" posters and clothing (including a hoodie with a wrong-date misprint), and crammed into special viewing areas reserved for the Ten Club, the Pearl Jam society of super-fans.

Those amenities were appreciated on a Saturday of poncho weather, with unceasing grey skies and a steady rain that put a soggy damper on tailgating plans and the afternoon side stages full of up-and comers and strummy solo acts. The Swell Season's Glen Hansard tried to keep spirits up with a half-remembered cover of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" and a string-breakingly savage cover of fellow Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks," but the crowd mostly chose to drink away the storm, lending the afternoon a "rain delay in the bleachers" vibe.

Fortunately, precipitation was down to a surly drizzle for the main event, where the band's guestlist mixed nostalgia with contemporaries, and maneuvered groups accustomed to headlining into opener slots. The result felt something like the classic '90's Lollapalooza lineups, a murderer's row of accomplished acts forced to make their case in 45 minutes or less in front of another band's gear.

Mudhoney were the band most tightly linked with Pearl Jam's Emerald City past, and the only one that could be considered an influence on their sound. But the grunge pioneers sounded refreshingly undated, the snotty punk sensuality of tracks like "Touch Me I'm Sick" still roaring like they were written recently. On a night with pretty thick frontman competition, Mark Arm set the bar unattainably high with his half-cocky, half-cramped stage moves.

In contrast to Mudhoney's unhinged danger, Queens of the Stone Age brought a very precise evil to the stage. As dark clouds continued to threaten the poor kids on Alpine's steep lawn, Josh Homme's band (which released its first album on Stone Gossard's label) fought back with their own lightning storm. Even if Homme's jocky banter — "if we do this right, we can all get laid toniiight!" — would have been awkwardly out of place in the scene that birthed Pearl Jam, the stoner metal sound of "No One Knows" and "The Sky is Falling" fit right in as examples of a grunge afterlife.

The Strokes, by their own admission, were the kids of the main stage. Julian Casablancas confessed to first trying out his singing voice alongside a cassette of Ten, and broke street-cool character several times to sheepishly thank Pearl Jam for the invite. The set itself was the night's anomaly — brisk (10 songs, 35 minutes), catchy, and the only thing approaching danceable if you don't count fist-pumping. Largely ignoring this year's Angles, the highlight of the greatest hits set was Eddie Vedder convincingly taking the chorus of "Juicebox" and bringing a little showmanship to the movement-averse New Yorkers. "Oh shit, he sings that so much better than I do," Casabalancas moaned.

After a long day of mounting musical and meteorological tension, Pearl Jam couldn't help but open with "Release," giving the crowd its long-awaited chance for a communal arm-waving sing-along. Middle-age has found the band settling into its sweet spot, a stadium rock bombast kept tethered to the earth with punk-rock chords. Though the Ten material ("Deep," "Once," "Porch") still got the biggest cheers, there was plenty of room to explore their deep catalog, culminating this night in versions of "Better Man" and "rearviewmirror" that were tastefully extended and triumphantly peaked.

For a gig that was very much preaching to the choir, Pearl Jam didn't need to worry too much about pacing, and the setlist was accordingly packed with rarities ("Who You Are," Vedder's solo track "Setting Forth") and guest spots (Casablancas on "Not For You," Homme on the never-before-played "In the Moonlight," George Harrison's son Dhani on "State of Love and Trust"). But the mother of all special guests for grunge aficionados was the encore appearance by Chris Cornell, who first took the role of Mother Love Bone singer Andrew Wood for "Stardog Champion," then sang three songs from the Temple of the Dog memorial project for Wood. "Hunger Strike" was a gimmee, but "Reach Down" and "Say Hello to Heaven" made it a full-on reunion — only the third since 1992.

If Cornell couldn't quite hit the ridiculously high notes of 20 years ago, it made it all the more poignant — why hide the wrinkles at an event celebrating long-term survival? The ghosts of mortality that lingered over the encore made for a bit of a bummer ending, despite the twin exorcisms of "Love Reign O'er Me" and "Kick Out the Jams" covers (the latter with Mudhoney). But it was Pearl Jam's party, and they could cry if they wanted to.

fran altereddie
view post Posted on 7/9/2011, 23:51

copertura dell'evento da parte di Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pea...stival-20110906

Pearl Jam Reward Fans With Epic Two-Day Festival PJ20 features Temple of the Dog reunion, plus performances by the Strokes, QOTSA, more

By Simon Vozick-Levinson

September 6, 2011 10:35 AM ET Pearl Jam performing at Alpine Valley as part of Pearl Jam's Destination Weekend in East Troy, Wisconsin.Kevin Mazur/WireImageToward the end of Pearl Jam's huge 20th-anniversary celebration on September 4th, Eddie Vedder returned to the stage alone with an acoustic guitar and began playing a sweet little tune he'd written just hours before. "Couldn’t have told me back then that it would someday be allowed to be so in love with life, as deeply as we are now," he sang, his voice full of genuine gratitude. "Never thought we would, never thought we could/So glad we made it/I’m so glad we made it/I’m so glad we made it to when it all got good."

Those words summed up the feel-good vibe at PJ20, a two-day lovefest that celebrated everything Pearl Jam has accomplished over the past two decades. Tens of thousands of devotees descended on East Troy, Wisconsin's famed Alpine Valley Music Theatre to spend their Labor Day weekend with the band. They came from all over the world, waving the flags of Japan, Mexico, Peru, Italy and other far-flung nations over their heads in the enormous outdoor amphitheater. They queued up all day to get a chance to see band artifacts housed in an on-site Pearl Jam museum, and they cheered their lungs out when their heroes took the stage.

Photos: Pearl Jam Destination Weekend
Pearl Jam rewarded the faithful with two days and nights of top-notch guitar rock. The lineups for Saturday and Sunday were the same: Hand-picked openers including Glen Hansard, Joseph Arthur, Liam Finn, John Doe and thenewno2 played on two small side stages in the afternoon, followed by hard-charging performances from Mudhoney, Queens of the Stone Age and the Strokes on the main stage – all leading up to a killer three-hour Pearl Jam set each evening.

Each night also featured a previously unannounced Temple of the Dog mini-set in the middle of Pearl Jam's show. Twitter rumors beforehand had indicated that Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell might join the band to reunite their beloved pre-Pearl Jam project – and Cornell got possibly the loudest crowd reactions of the weekend each time he swaggered on stage and ripped through dusty 1991 classics like "Hunger Strike," "Say Hello 2 Heaven," "Call Me a Dog" and "Reach Down." But Pearl Jam gave the audience two very distinct experiences each night, completely switching up the set lists in their usual fashion.

After a long day of rain on Saturday, Pearl Jam opened their set with "Release," as super-pumped fans sang along to each and every word. After that they spent most of the night digging into rarely played deep cuts like 1998's "Push Me, Pull Me" and 2000's "In the Moonlight." Anyone who came to Alpine Valley on Saturday hoping to hear the big hits probably picked the wrong night. But the set list was surely a treat for the true believers who know every B-side and outtake by heart – and that description seemed to apply to most of the people in attendance. That said, the crowd absolutely lost it when they heard the opening lick of 1994 smash "Better Man," calling out the entire first verse and chorus while Vedder looked out in wide-eyed wonder over the teeming lawn. "[People said] this ain't gonna happen," he said of the band's 20-year milestone a bit later. "That it's a dream, against the odds. I'm glad we didn't listen. "

Special guests abounded on Saturday – the Strokes' Julian Casablancas wailing on "Not for You," Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme livening up "In the Moonlight," thenewno2's Dhani Harrison rocking out on "State of Love and Trust" and more. The biggest cameo of all, of course, came from Cornell. After Temple of the Dog's Saturday set, whose highlights included a cover of Mother Love Bone's "Stardog Champion" and a monumental Vedder-Cornell duet on "Hunger Strike" (watch video below), Pearl Jam returned for a cover-filled encore including the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" and a rowdy spin through the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams" with help from members of Mudhoney. "Let's do this again tomorrow!" Vedder said to close out the night.

Pearl Jam's members seemed to be everywhere on Sunday afternoon, when sunnier weather meant big audiences for the sidestage openers. PJ bassist Jeff Ament, drummer Matt Cameron and guitarist Mike McCready all came out to back Joseph Arthur on tunes including a strong new Ament-penned rocker called "When the Fire Burns" and Arthur's signature "In the Sun." A grinning Vedder popped up to play drums with Liam Finn, dashed off stage, then reappeared later to duet with Glen Hansard on "Falling Slowly," drawing packed crowds.

fran altereddie
view post Posted on 8/9/2011, 08:04

PJ20 galleria fotografica su Spin

www.spin.com/gallery/backstage-pearl-jams-20th-birthday-bash

la mia preferita: Matt e Dhani Harrison

PJ-4

fran altereddie
view post Posted on 8/9/2011, 08:32

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musi...38580_pj20.html

PJ20: A historic weekend for Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam gathered with an all-star cast of musicians and 28,000 fans in East Troy, Wis., for a weekend of music and fellowship marking 20 years in the music business.

By Nicole Brodeur

Saturday: Release, Arms Aloft, Do The Evolution, Got Some, In My Tree, Faithfull, Who You Are (with Joseph Arthur, Liam Finn and Glen Hansard on background vocals, and Glen Peterson on percussion), Push Me, Pull Me, Setting Forth, Not For You (with Julian Casablancas of The Strokes), In The Moonlight (with Josh Homme of The Queens of the Stone Age), Deep, Help Help, Breath, Education (with Liam Finn), Once, State Of Love And Trust (with Dhani Harrison), Betterman/Save It For Later, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, (encore break 1), Rearviewmirror, (This begins a Mother Love Bone and Temple of the Dog reunion lead by Chris Cornell, accompanied by Vedder), Stardog Champion, Say Hello 2 Heaven, Reach Down (with Vedder, and Liam Finn and Glen Hansard on background vocals), Hunger Strike (duet with Cornell and Vedder), Love, Reign O'er Me, Porch, (encore break 2), Kick Out The Jams (with Mudhoney).

Sunday: Wash, The Fixer, Severed Hand, All Night, Given To Fly, Pilate, Love Boat Captain, Habit (with Liam Finn), Evenflow, Daughter/It's OK, Leatherman, Red Mosquito (with The Strokes' Julian Casablancas), Satan's Bed, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter A Small Town (with Dhani Harrison), Unthought Known, New World (with John Doe), Black, Jeremy, (encore break 1), New Song by Vedder (written just hours before), Just Breathe, Nothingman, No Way, Public Image (Public Image Limited cover), Smile (with Glen Hansard), Spin The Black Circle, (encore break 2), Hunger Strike (duet with Chris Cornell and Vedder), Call Me A Dog (Cornell), All Night Thing (Cornell), Reach Down (Cornell), Sonic Reducer (with Mudhoney), (encore break 3), Alive, Rockin' In The Free World (with all musicians, friends and family), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner.

PJ20 was many things to many people. A thank you. A reunion. And, for those keeping track, the only two United States shows that Pearl Jam — Seattle's musical gift to the world — will do this year.

More than anything, though, the band's two-day anniversary event at Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy, Wis., last weekend felt like one of those family celebrations where a relative stands, raises a glass and toasts the early days, the time since, and the days yet to come.

There was a stage instead of a table. Songs instead of toasts. And a crowd of 28,000 that braved pouring rain and long lines just to watch, listen, and celebrate the community it has become.

"It's been great," said Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron. "It's amazing that we still have legs and staying power. But I guess this proves it."

Pearl Jam picked Wisconsin not just because it is near the center of the country, but because it served as a pristine getaway to spend time with old friends who had been there since early on; new friends it wants fans to know better; and those who seem poised to receive the rock-band baton.

A wet welcome

Saturday started wet and cold, but fans didn't seem to care, donning ponchos, garbage bags and commemorative sweatshirts, or hanging in the Expo Center, where poster artists like the Ames Bros. and Brad Klausen were selling and signing their wares and greeting fans.

The highlight of the Expo Center was the Pearl Jam Museum, a dizzying collection of artifacts from the band's trip so far; everything from European subway posters to Jeff Ament's signature hats to clothes that were torn off Vedder's body in the mosh pit. The lines to get in were three hours long.

There was a stencil still used on Pearl Jam's equipment, a sample of every piece of vinyl ever put out and — perhaps best of all — the original, towering letters from the front of Pearl Jam's debut album, "Ten." Fans could stand in front of them, copying the band's iconic, hands-together pose, and ask security guards to snap them for posterity.

During the day, bands hand-picked by Pearl Jam alternated between two stages set up the hill from the main amphitheater.

The Young Evils from Seattle got each day started with noontime sets, followed by alt-rock Star Anna and The Laughing Dogs, Jason Lytle, David Garza, Thenewno2 (fronted by Dhani Harrison, son of George), Joseph Arthur, Liam Finn, Glen Hansard and John Doe, who closed out those stages at 5:30..

At 6 p.m., Mudhoney opened the mainstage, Mark Arm leading his roof-blasting, mosh-inducing band through powerful sets that included grunge standards like "Touch Me I'm Sick."

They were followed each night by The Queens of the Stone Age, The Strokes (Vedder popped on to duet with Julian Casablancas on "Juiceboxxx"), and then Pearl Jam, which played three-hour shows, each with their own diverse set list. Saturday night included rarities like "Push Me, Pull Me," and "In the Moonlight," for which Queens frontman Josh Homme joined Vedder on vocals.

Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell joined Pearl Jam halfway through each night's set for a Mother Love Bone/Temple of the Dog reunion, which included beloved songs like "Hunger Strike," "Say Hello 2 Heaven" "Call Me a Dog" and "Reach Down."

And there was this: an acknowledgment of the late Andrew Wood, lead singer of Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990.

"It was a turning point in my life ... and I think everybody here's lives when we lost him," Vedder said.

A brighter day

On Sunday, the sun brought the band members out early onto others' stages.

Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, drummer Matt Cameron and lead guitarist Mike McCready joined Joseph Arthur for his "In the Sun," and a new Ament song called "When the Fire Burns."

Vedder, in shorts and sunglasses and carrying an iced coffee, joined Finn on drums for his set, Hansard for a riveting duet on his Academy Award-winning song, "Falling Slowly" (something they did throughout Vedder's recent "Ukelele Songs" tour) and Doe for "Golden State."

That night, during an energized, seemingly greatest-hits set, Vedder spoke to the crowd about his passions, both personal and political.

He thanked those who had joined him in supporting the West Memphis Three, who were released from prison Aug. 19 after DNA testing could not connect them to the 1993 murder of three boys in Arkansas. Vedder and others had held fundraisers and lobbied for the men.

"Thanks for trusting us," Vedder told the crowd. "And if you didn't trust us on that ... You should have known better."

He also used the anniversary to acknowledge those who had helped the band reach this place and time.

Longtime producer Brendan O'Brien. Drummer Matt Cameron, the band's third, "for keeping the band alive." Keyboardist Boom Gasper. And Neil Young, who Vedder met 19 years ago at a tribute to Bob Dylan.

"We didn't know back then we were going to be adopted by him," Vedder said. "He got us through some tough times."

He thanked the band's crew: "They were with us in the tiny clubs. They're all our family."

And Vedder thanked the women in their lives.

"Everybody, every member of this group has a very powerful woman next to us, behind us and in front of us," he said. "So to all the women — we have just one each — in our lives, we just want to thank all the mamas and wives and girlfriends back home. We love you.

"Thanks for letting us have a night out."

It seemed impossible to capture it all — the years, the relationships, the music, the tours, and the accomplishment of staying together for 20 years — but Vedder tried on Sunday night, when he played a song he had written just hours before, alone and acoustically.

" ... Couldn't have told me back then that it would someday be allowed to be so in love with life, as deeply as we are now," he sang, as the crowd cheered. "Never thought we would. Never thought we could. I'm glad we made it. I'm so glad we made it. I'm so glad we made it 'til when it all got good."

With that, and whether they held a cup or not, the crowd raised its hands to toast.

Nicole Brodeur: 206-464-2334 or [email protected].

docG
view post Posted on 8/9/2011, 14:36

che belli i primi due...

fran altereddie
view post Posted on 8/9/2011, 14:39

CITAZIONE (docG @ 8/9/2011, 15:36) 
che belli i primi due...

:wub:

fran altereddie
view post Posted on 9/9/2011, 21:24

Boss, dove la posto 'sta cosa? :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/wee...l-time-20110909
Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Best Pearl Jam Song of All Time?Cast your vote in our weekly readers' poll

By Rolling Stone
September 9, 2011 3:25 PM
Last week, we asked Rolling Stone readers to name their favorite song of summer 2011 – and we compiled the votes into a top 10 list.

Pearl Jam have been celebrating their 20th anniversary this week with a two-day festival, a new book and a documentary by Cameron Crowe. In honor of their achievement, our question for you is: What is the best Pearl Jam song ever? Hits, deep cuts, rarities – it's all fair game!

You can vote here in the comments, on facebook.com/rollingstone or on Twitter with the #weekendrock hashtag.

view post Posted on 9/9/2011, 22:43

So modern day I walk my way, my jacket faded....

Group:
Administrator

Va bene qui, eh eh! :D

Web  Top
8 replies since 7/9/2011, 12:58   307 views